Ryburne

Small ads

Bonfire 2013

From Jenny B

Sunday, 20 October 2013

Until seeing the Hebweb news, I wasn't aware that the bonfire/firework display was not going to take place this year.

Whilst we as a family had stopped attending for the same reasons as those quoted as cause to stop it, I feel sad that lots of local families will now miss out.

I am sure the event boosted the towns economy too.

What a shame that a minority spoil things for the majority.

From Andy M

Monday, 21 October 2013

It does seem a shame. I wonder if they considered just not running the funfair?

From Alana Fitzpatrick

Tuesday, 29 October 2013

For years it has been a tradition in my family to see the bonfire display at Hebden, and I am very disheartened to hear it being cancelled. Indeed there has been some unfortunate behavior by some choice individuals, but the event is always policed well and i have never seen any issues, no more so than at other bonfires. In fact Hebden is the best policed and the most safe and enjoyable bonfire i have been two which is why it became a tradition to attend this particular display. I hope the decision is rethought as there shall always be rogue individuals, punishing the locals is unfair and unwarranted. Hope others agree.

From Roisin Sheridan

Tuesday, 29 October 2013

I think that its incredibly unfair that the bonfire has been cancelled and that its blamed on the youths of Hebden Royd. As a young person from the area, I know that pretty much every young person from Hebden Bridge and Mytholmroyd and the surrounding area refuse to pay £5 to get onto our own local park.

With the reputation of the youths of Hebden Bridge being that they're all child alcoholics and drug addicts, a lot of people from Halifax, Todmorden and other areas further a field that Mytholmroyd use this as an excuse to come and get wrecked on bonfire night, and in essence, they have ruined it for everyone who came to enjoy it, including the local youths who have gone to watch the bonfire every year they've lived here, not so that they can't get smashed but so that they can celebrate bonfire night.

See also

HebWeb News: No Bonfire 16 Oct 2013