Ryburne

Small ads

The Vine Restaurant

From Helen Chilton

Sunday, 17 August 2014

Sources close to The Vine (i.e. Ladbrokes staff) tell us that the premises have been hurriedly vacated - on Rent Day - and are now empty!

Some of us are still hoping for an Indian restaurant to come to Hebden Bridge - could this be an opportunity for someone?

From Elizabeth W

Sunday, 17 August 2014

Oooh yes please! Can we have a branch of Prashad? I'm not actually a veggie but the food in their Bradford restaurant is absolutely amazing & would fit in beautifully with the HB vibe. It's about time we had something truly foodie fabulous!

From Andy G

Sunday, 17 August 2014

While I sympathise to a degree with the very pleasant young local couple who opened the Vine Restaurant at a time of great economic uncertainty, and have almost certainly lost a fair amount of money, if they had done their homework properly before taking the plunge they would have realised that there simply isn't room for four "Italian" restaurants in a town the size of Hebden Bridge.

I agree with Helen that Hebden could do with a really good quality Indian restaurant and that is no disrespect to the nice guys at Eastern Spice, who I think would up their ante a bit if presented with a little bit of healthy competition.

On a recent visit to the Syhiba restaurant in Sowerby Bridge, which is about to open a major extension, the owner was asked if he would be prepared to open a branch in Hebden and he replied with words to the effect that he didn't think he needed to bother as half of Hebden seemed to be in his restaurant most weekends.

Perhaps major West Yorkshire Indian Restaurant chains such as Aagrah, Akbar's, Nawaab or Shabab should be approached - or, given Hebden's strong vegetarian credentials, maybe Hansa's or Prashad.

From Graham Barker

Tuesday, 19 August 2014

A Hebden Bridge Mumtaz would get my attention (no disrespect to the great guys at Eastern Spice) but two short-lived attempts to make a go of a seemingly prime site don't bode well. It's a big space to fill, and having passers-by gawping in might be off-putting for some (though easily fixed by a bit of screening).

Given its location it may make more sense as the daytime fish and chip restaurant it was than as a primarily evening venue, though a Mumtaz or similar could easily do both. Whatever it was would need to be family friendly and not charge silly prices, or they'd struggle through the tourism-reduced winter months.

From Sarah Crowley

Tuesday, 19 August 2014

I agree that a traditional fish and chip shop/ restaurant would be ideal on this site. Fish could be brought from Whitby and local Yorkshire potatoes used for the chips. AJ's was always a great place to go for a meal when it had the fish and chip shop on the same site. I wish I had the cash as I would certainly invest in it.

From Alex W

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Can anyone tell me who owns this building? I have someone who will be interested in opening it as an indian restaurant.

From Graham Barker

Thursday, 21 August 2014

Alex - Information about ownership is available for £3 from the Land Registry.

From Paul D

Friday, 22 August 2014

The night time economy wouldn't support another Indian unless it was a major (Muntaz) draw. It can barely support what's here already. It's like standing on the packhorse bridge throwing fivers in. That 'unit' is too big, on a horrible junction and obviously a repeat fail.

Think of the best local eatery and transpose the experience into that building. Doesn't work. Anyone with money could buy the lease on the Greek, buy the Hole or just a holiday cottage in Newquay and eat out.

From Eileen Kelly

Friday, 22 August 2014

Hebden definitely needs a really good Indian Restaurant. My friends and family (all of whom live in Hebden, as I do) have been saying this for a long time. There was far too much competition for The Vine, with two excellent Italian restaurants already - La Perla and Il Mulino.

From Jack Hughes

Friday, 22 August 2014

Am I missing some subtle point here, or have attitudes changed towards the dreaded 'chains'? I'm just thinking of the general brouhaha and outrage a few years back when (spurious) rumours of a Harry Ramsdens takeover of the building were rife. Or would Mumtaz or another Indian restaurant chain be perceived as being more 'Hebden'?

From Paul D

Friday, 22 August 2014

I wasn't actually calling for a chain so much as pointing out that it would probably need a significant draw to make it viable. Not only do we have a nice Indian (Pakistani) restaurant but there's another home based one that will cook an amazing meal and you go pick up. Sustainable and much better food.

No, my point was that this whole huge scale eatery is not only out of place but very difficult to make profitable. As a KFC yes but that won't happen. Once Moyles opens there will be even more competition. And last time I went out midweek everywhere was quiet. It's actually turning into a daytime and weekend economy reliant on visitors. So the chance of another Strays or Laughing Gravy recede by the year.

From Andy M

Friday, 22 August 2014

I'd just settle for a decent restaurant period - something Hebden has (oddly) struggled with - in my 20 year experience.

From Richard Woodcock

Saturday, 23 August 2014

Well I'd like a little tapas and jazz place there if anyone's offering....

From Graham Barker

Sunday, 24 August 2014

I've just eaten for the first time at The Vedas in Tod and am kicking myself for not trying it sooner. It's about the same size as the Vine. If only the owners could be persuaded to move a few miles down the valley...

From Chris D

Sunday, 24 August 2014

We'd like to keep The Vedas here in Tod, thank you. Even moving it a little towards Hebden would seriously inconvenience those of us who live in Walsden.

From Paul Clarke

Sunday, 24 August 2014

Firstly, I think we should be mindful that when this place shut down someone's dreams went up in smoke which is sad and we should feel for them.

The reality is that this is not a Jonah venue as let's face it AJs lasted for years and that was one of the worse chippies I've ever had eaten in.

Equally I'm sure I was not alone in thinking the Old Gate site would never find a permanent owner.

That masterful reinvention just proves with a bit of knowing the local market and the right offer any site can work.

To my mind there is no doubt we are in desperate need of decent Indian takeaway/sit down restaurant. They would certainly get my custom.

Graham is spot about Vedas but do we really have to traipse to Tod or Sowerby for a decent Indian nosh?

I hope someone will come in and fill that gap as I'm someone who moved from Manchester who still really misses the Curry Mile.

From Abdul - The Vedas

Monday, 25 August 2014

Vedas owner here, looking at these posts with interest. Possibly could be interested in doing a second Vedas in Hebden. Many might know that I've been looking here for a while!

If anyone could get me some details or a contact number that would be really helpful!

Thanks

From Susan Press

Monday, 25 August 2014

My first thought when The Vine disapppeared overnight was how awful it must be for the people who had put so much time and effort into it.

I ate there at lunchtime on several occasions and they had gone to so much trouble sourcing authentic Italian produce - the food was good but a bit expensive and the 'grey' ambience was a big mistake and Hebden was never going to be able to sustain three Italian restaurants.

Due to the recession most of us only eat out (if at all) at weekends or special occasions - and we tend to play it safe so The Vine was really up against it. Hebden also has much higher business rates which mean potential restarateurs go elsewhere - look at the number of places there are in Sowerby Bridge and Tod.

I go to The Vedas, Syhiba and sometimes the hidden gem of Zaika in Cornholme which has been there years and years. Tod has Moroccan, Thai, tapas, a new Modern british Place and of course, Wetherspoons.

Hebden has never had the diversity/ quality of places to eat you would expect. As someone else said, we are turning into a daytime and weekend economy. Given the size of what was AJ's, it is likely only a major concern would be able to risk the investment. But if The Vedas wants to open a second branch that would certainly get my vote.

From Abdul - The Vedas

Monday, 25 August 2014

I agree with Susan.

I managed to track down the owner of the building. He mentioned the rent, and with the rates, you are looking around circa 45K a year. Given the investment needed to open a quality restaurant, and to maintain those kind of rates and rent, is a fairly difficult task in a seasonal small town.

Prices would have to be high and that would alienate many customers, and the whole thing becomes extremely risky and unviable.

I would love to do another unit in Hebden and have been looking for a while, but I have a feeling this wont be it. Still going to take a look at the sales particulars when they are released next week!

From Alex W

Thursday, 28 August 2014

I also looked at this property and found the rent and rates to be too high to consider a business here

From Phil M

Thursday, 28 August 2014

Twas a shame to see it fail..

Personally, I would love some good Mexican food in Hebden but overall I just hope it doesn't stay closed too long and whoever tries next has more success.

From Bruce C

Thursday, 28 August 2014

It would be fantastic to have a Hebden branch of Vedas - we so need a good Indian restaurant and Vedas would be fantastic.

From Claire M

Thursday, 28 August 2014

A good Indian restaurant in Hebden is very much needed and would be a big hit !

From Joe Ridley

Thursday, 28 August 2014

It is interesting to see that at least two contributors to this thread have stated that the rent and rates for this premises are too high for them to consider starting a business there.

The rent is subject to market pressures and will be negotiable (the owner will prefer the premises to be occupied). The rates however are imposed by the local council and in this case are clearly inhibiting the free market. Prospective jobs and the opportunity for a new restaurant in the area therefore don't materialise.

Will we hear from Susan Press et al. on this matter? Will they promise to campaign for lower taxes on businesses and allow trade to flourish?

From Cllr Steve Sweeney

Thursday, 28 August 2014

For information, from April 1st 2014 some rate relief has been brought in to support small businesses. Rates relief of up to £1,000 is available to all businesses who occupy retail premises with a rateable value of £50,000 or less, that are wholly or mainly being used as shops, restaurants, cafes and drinking establishments, in each of the years 2014/15 and 2015/16.

From Joe Ridley

Friday, 29 August 2014

A saving of £1000 you say? Wow! That's a whole 2%. And that's the maximum available if you're unfortunate enough to be forced to pay £50,000 a year into the bottomless pit.

At minimum wage and disregarding all associated costs of employing somebody, this will enable an employer to offer an extra 3 hours work per week.

Anybody else interested in investing in a town centre restaurant venture?

From Jim C

Friday, 29 August 2014

Whoopee Councillor! £1000 off a bill of nearly £25000. I can see the queue forming already to take this on!

From Jack Lockhart

Saturday, 30 August 2014

Would makes great tourist information centre /gallery space and home to mountain rescue

From Julie C

Sunday, 31 August 2014

Yes Jack, the old T.I.C, was a good focus for Visitors and Locals alike, the Gallery space hosted some brilliant exhibitions. I recollect an early one by Martin Parr when he wasn't quite so famous. There were rooms upstairs used for Public Meetings too. The present tourist centre is a pale comparison. It was another example of Calderdale flogging off local resources without considering the impact, just like Pitt Street, and without campaigning the Picture House would have gone the same way. Yet another reason to have some kind of local development plan. Or perhaps UDI for the Upper Valley!

From Abdul - The Vedas

Thursday, 11 September 2014

So, finally received the sales brochure on this. 30K exclusive, plus rateable value of 32K, means around 45k a year just on rent and rates.

On top of cost of refurb etc. Unfortunately as said it's unviable, and it would be a struggle to maintain these overheads.

Most likely why the owners of The Vine struggled. As much as I would like to do something in Hebden, not at these figures!

From Elleigh C

Sunday, 14 September 2014

Ha ha. Love it. "Traipse over to Tod", sounds like going to the other end of the planet. Hey, it takes 10 mins on the bus. Ok maybe a bit longer but I come across a lot of people who view leaving the confines of Hebden like an arctic expedition. Tod park remains a mystery to some. I would welcome a masala dosa and thali place or somewhere you can get snacks and drinks (other than pub grub and full on restaurant meal) after 4pm when most of the cafés seem to stop doing food.