Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Hebden Bridge Station Lifts

From Susan Quick

Saturday, 9 May 2015

On Tuesday May 6th I was invited to a meeting chaired by Network Rail's Commercial Schemes Sponsor to review plans for proposed lifts for the station. At last it's happening and I'll post copies of the design on Friends of Hebden Bridge Station website as soon as I get them. We need comments from all potential users.

The proposed lifts will be sited on the old lift shafts at a cost of £1.6-£1.7 million. On Platform 2 the planned lift entrance is at 90 degrees to the cafe entrance. I was told that to minimize cost if the lift has to have only one entrance; if the platform entrance faced the track a second entrance would be needed for the subway, which would be too costly. However, the planned Platform 2 entrance will mean passengers waiting to use the lift may block the entrance to the cafe thus potentially reducing custom; especially in the early morning rush. Also the two tables and chairs currently in front of the cafe platform entrance will have to go. Have the women who run the cafe agreed? There was no mention of consultation with the cafe proprietors; the tables and chairs in front of the station may also need to move to allow wheelchair access to the booking office.

On Platform 1 the lift will go all the way to the platform, stairs will also be installed; the current slope will be retained for its history.

The rail operators' concern only extends to the lifts and vehicle drop-off immediate outside the station. They were reluctant even to discuss the bus stop; improved access from the main road was not within their remit. Nor was making the ticket counter wheelchair accessible; they said ticket counters were obsolete; we should use machines. Discount tickets for disabled people and pensioners with Calderdale passes are not available from the machine.

As Friend of Hebden Bridge Station and disabled community representative on Hebden Bridge Partnership Board, I will make a brief presentation at a public meeting at the Town Hall, Monday 11th May 7.30 pm. Copies of the Minutes of the meeting with Network and Northern Rails will be available, or email me and I'll send you a copy.

From Julie C

Sunday, 10 May 2015

Thanks to Susan and Friends of the Station for their commitment over many years to get the lifts finally sorted. It'll be great not only for disabled travellers, but those with pushchairs and big bags too.

Not happy at the idea that the ticket office is seen as redundant, a human is much more useful and generally all round helpful than a machine, as well as being far friendlier!

From Susan Quick

Monday, 11 May 2015

Network Rail have just confirmed plans to install lifts in the station - I met with them last week. I'll send you a copy of reports of the meeting if you send me your email. So yes there will shortly be a great need for wheelchair accessible taxis. As you know it costs a fortune now because they charge for coming from Halifax. Years ago it cost £20 to get from Mytholm meadows to the post office.

From Andy C

Tuesday, 12 May 2015

Sorry. Did you say £1.6-1.7 million? That can't be right can it? I know contractors/consultants like to take a little bit of a cut from these projects but, even so, thats a helluva lot of money isnt it?