Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Narrowboat B&B refused planning permission

From Susan J Quick

Tuesday, 8 September 2015

Hebden Bridge Cruises attract thousands of people who don't just take a boat ride and leave; they visit our town, enjoy its quirkiness, taking home gifts and memories. Stubbing Wharf pub prepares meals for dining cruises; thus, Hebden Bridge Cruises is contributing substantially to our visitor economy. If cruisers stay overnight their stay will be extended and enhanced. So why has Hebden Royd Town Council refused Hebden Bridge Cruises' application to invest in a second boat as bed and breakfast accommodation?

Volunteer lock keeper Steven Beasley contests the Council statement that the boat would "impede public access and activities on the tow path". How would a maximum of 4 people sleeping on a narrow boat impede my access to the towpath which is already home to many houseboats?

Although I heartily endorse cycling as off-road transport, I fear cyclists impede towpath access. I walk with a stick having very poor balance so moving out of the way to let a bike pass I risk falling.

Please tell Calderdale what you think: log onto their Planning Applications: Stubbing Brink 15/00750/FUL

I'm really looking forward to inviting guests to sleep under the stars in the ripple of the canal; showing them why I've made Hebden Bridge my home for 25 years.

From Phil M

Wednesday, 9 September 2015

How strange? Seems like a fantastic idea and if you Google barge b&bs they do exist across the UK canal network!!

And as an aside, can I just say how ace Hebden Bridge Cruises are! We brought the family together for the inlaws' ruby wedding celebration and enjoyed food and beer from Stubbings (followed by our own wine when the beer ran out!) A really good a different way to enjoy a meal!

From Bob Deacon

Friday, 11 September 2015

The Headline for this thread is unfortunate. Hebden Royd Town Council does not have authority to refuse planning permission. It's view is merely a recommendation to Calderdale.

The Hebden Bridge Partnership which exists to help make Hebden Bridge a better place to work, live and visit discussed this situation at its meeting on Monday and encouraged all those sympathetic to the case for a B and B boat to add their support to the planning application. Details are in the first entry to this thread.

From Susan J Quick

Tuesday, 15 September 2015

I read the planning portal wrong, sorry. I thought it had been refused but it was just a recommendation of refusal from Hebden Bridge Council. They are reviewing their decision and I hope they will realise what a good thing for the town a narrowboat B & B would be and how many small businesses would benefit from this added attraction to Hebden Bridge.

From Susan J Quick

Friday, 25 September 2015

I'm delighted to be able to report that Hebden Royd Town Council have agreed to the proposed narrowboat B&B. Their refusal was based on a fear that the electricity supply would involve the erection of a large bright blue bollard! It won't. We now have to wait for Calderdale Planning's decision.

From Sean Louram

Monday, 5 October 2015

I can confirm that Calderdale Council have given full approval for Hebden Bridge Cruises business expansion and granted Planning Permission to have a Bed and Breakfast Narrowboat in Hebden Bridge. Many thanks to all the people who have supported our application. We will make sure that the boat is an added attraction to the area and increase visitors to the town. Sean Louram and Mary Keady
Hebden Bridge Cruises.