Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Plastic bags

From Kez Armitage

Monday, 5 October 2015

Those of us (myself included) who feel we really don't donate enough to charitable causes, now have a perfect opportunity to redress the balance.

All the major supermarkets have said that the 5p charge for plastic bags will go to deserving causes. It's not a tax - the government will make not a penny. I imagine the supermarkets will understandably impose an admin charge, but most of the money will go to deserving causes.

Far from saving the the planet - the government's intention - the law of unintended consequences might mean that those who don't normally give to charity, might be able to do so by buying bags, maybe a few more than they normally do.

Not right, of course, but it lucidly demonstrates how well intended legislation can have unfortunate consequences.

From Veronica Roberts

Monday, 5 October 2015

Yes it is good the 5 pence on plastic bags goes to charities, but it still doesn't go far enough. Why supermarkets do have to use plastic bags, as they still get thrown out etc. Paper bags or bio degradable bags would be better. I do try and use my bags for life wherever possible, but just as guilty as anyone else when it comes to throwing plastic bags out.

From Dave J

Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Whilst your sentiments are no doubt well intentioned Kez, an article in the Guardian last week shows that VAT will be charged on the sale of plasic bags and the Govenment anticipates collecting £19 million a year from their sale.

From Anne H

Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Does anyone know if One Stop, Nisa and the Co-op are carrying out this policy, i.e. are they considered as supermarkets or convenience stores. If it's the latter, then it's ironic that the great little town of independent shops - which campaigned successfully for a plastic bag free town a couple of years ago - might be one of the few places where you don't get charged for plastic bags and (presumably) their use will continue unchecked.

From Allen Keep

Tuesday, 6 October 2015

Thought it was about the size of the organisation rather than the shop? They are all owned by large organisations so I assume they will charge. Not been in any of them yet though.

From Myra James

Wednesday, 7 October 2015

I believe it is about the size of the organisation rather than any particular store, as Allen says. And I heard one of the assistants in the Co-op telling a shopper last week that they would be charging for bags from this week.