Ryburne

Share this page

EditRegion10

Small ads

Floods - media coverage

From Susan Quick

Wednesday, 27 January 2016

The visit of Rt Hon Anna Soubrey of Department for Business, Innovation and Skills to Mytholmroyd was reported on the BBC 1 6. 30 Look North and ITV 10.30 local news.

The ITV slot was longer and had extensive coverage of businesses coping e.g. having insurance in 2012 but no insurance in 2015. In fact this has affected too many of us.

My insurers, recommended by the Co-op refused to re-insure me after the 2012 flood.

I contacted Ryburns but could only get insurance for all but flood.

Ryburns themselves are not insured for flood. Hopefully this will change when Flood RE a not-for-profit reinsurance scheme which will provide cover for those of us most at risk comes into force potentially in April. Let's see if and how it works!

There was a lengthy item on BBC Look North again yesterday with a focus on local people donating items for people who've been affected by floods, included interviews and with a young girl. Also an interview of Craig Whittaker asking what exactly the government will do in case this happens again.

From Susan Quick

Thursday, 10 March 2016

Hebden Bridge was on BBC Look North again tonight (Thurs 11 May); this time looking at ongoing stress experienced by flood victims. Thank you, yes it feels unending. The immediate aftermath was almost a high - a rush; so much help, support. Volunteers clearing out my office basement, mopping, getting rid of mud; free meals at the Town Hall; free mops and cleaning equipment; electrician coming to fix power for free. But it all ended, the help not the hassles. Computer hard drive destroyed = 25 years of my life, my novel; filing system, photographs... it goes on and on and on. Everyday you find something new that you've lost. Two and a half months have passed. Will recovery ever come?

From The After Alice Project

Friday, 11 March 2016

It is indeed going to be a long recovery, and it is often the smallest losses that make the biggest heartache. If anyone does have flood damaged photographs, or the negatives of lost photographs, or just precious images that they want to digitally scan and save, then do please call in and see us on the first floor at Salem Mill in Hebden Bridge. We're currently open Mondays and Thursdays 11am to 3pm, and Saturday 11am to 4pm www.afteralice.org

From Susan Quick

Wednesday, 16 March 2016

In response to George Osbornes's budget there was an extensive piece on Hebden on Look North tonight, Wednesday; as well as shots of floods, interviews in reopened cafe and with woman on tops saying its not enough to keep building higher walls.