Ryburne

Share this page

EditRegion10

Small ads

Community Centre and Swimming Pool

From Judy Lower

Wednesday, 10 February 2016

Meeting 7.30 pm. at The Cricket Club Mytholmroyd.Tomorrow evening. February 11th.

Of course it is essential to get the community centre open and running again.

It is also an opportunity to consider the integration of the swimming pool. If any one feels that they have skills that can help in any way please try and attend the meeting.

From Ally S

Tuesday, 14 June 2016

Is there an update on the pool from the meeting in February?

From Chris Barnett

Wednesday, 15 June 2016

Is it only me that thinks there's something rather bizarre about building a swimming pool in the middle of a flood zone?

I've never been a great fan of this idea (we have perfectly good pools in Tod, Sowerby Bridge and Halifax, and perfectly good transport links to get us to them), especially when the whole project seems to be mired in controversy and suspicions of dodgy deals.

Here's an idea: why not use the vast amount of money (how much?) that's been sitting in a bank somewhere for years to help people, organisations and businesses that have suffered from flooding, and/or to help make Mytholmroyd more flood resilient.

From David Thompson

Wednesday, 22 June 2016

I have only lived here for 28 years. so the swimming pool fund is fairly new to me. The potted history isn't very enlightening. How was the money raised? When and how was the Victoria Road site acquired, and why was it sold to a speculative developer?

Everything seems very vague considering the amount of money involved.

Can anyone enlighten me?

David

From Chris Barnett

Wednesday, 22 June 2016

Like David Thompson, I too find the whole history of the proposed swimming pool rather hard to make sense of.

I have also lived here for 28 years, and although I have no involvement in this project and don't live in Mytholmroyd, I'm becoming increasingly disturbed by the way the whole affair has dragged on without anything much being achieved to benefit the community.

Personally, I don't think a swimming pool in Hebden Bridge or Mytholmroyd is a particularly good use of this money. One of my biggest concerns has always been that I don't think that anyone has properly thought out how the running of a pool would be funded - swimming pools require a lot of money to staff, maintain and clean them, as well as the very high energy costs. It would be a criminal waste of money to build a pool which then had to close because there was no revenue to keep it open.

But even if the idea of a pool was a good one, I think everyone needs to accept the fact that there will never be a swimming pool in Hebden Bridge or Mytholmroyd. Not this year, not next year, not the year after. It isn't going to happen.

Despite finally getting planning approval in 2014 for building a swimming pool in a flood zone, the Boxing Day floods have obviously put an end to that idea, as well as doing immense damage to the existing Community Centre.

Meanwhile £880,000 of "public" money continues to sit in a bank somewhere, as it has done for many years. What interest it earns is dished out to architects and other consultants (over £100,000 in 2012/12) to fund a steady flow of feasibility studies and pointless planning applications. I'm not suggesting any dishonesty or malpractice on the part of the Trustees, but the lack of openness and a wider community involvement in the use of this money should be a cause for concern.

It's time to draw a line under this long and sorry saga, and time to put this money to good use. How about funding a new Community Centre (without swimming pool) on a site that isn't likely to flood? The people of Hebden Royd, and particularly Mytholmroyd, have suffered badly in recent times, and they deserve to finally see some benefit from what is after all, their money.

From Jade Smith

Wednesday, 29 June 2016

Dear Chris Barnett,

Thanks very much for your considered opinion regarding the development of the community centre / swimming pool in Mytholmroyd. Your comments have been duly noted.

The next meeting of the steering group will take place on Wednesday 13th July 2016 at 7.30pm at the community centre.

You are most welcome to join us.

Jade Smith

From Henry Wiseman

Thursday, 7 July 2016

Jade, your reply is typical from this whole debacle that is Mytholmroyds Swimming Pool, and answers absolutely no questions.

I have used the Community Centre frequantly for 26 years, over these years I have seen presentations of maybe 4-5 different schemes from the same consultants, with the most recent one appearing completely OTT, and not surprisingly over budget. All we have heard is that 90% of the money is available and work will progress in Spring (last year). I appreciate the floods have had a huge impact, but a few answers / copies of meeting minutes / updates on a FB page would help somewhat?.

This new scheme has been 20+ years in the making, and frought with inconsistent information and failed delivery...., and you wonder as to why people are sceptical ?.

Also, what is wrong with the concept adopted by other local towns (Sowerby Tod / Brighouse) i.e a simple building… with a simple swimming pool, rather than futuristic concepts with climbing walls coming out of the roof!.

And perhaps finaly, not on a flood plain?

Henry

Previously, on the HebWeb

HebWeb Forum - Swimming Pool Development (2015)

HebWeb Forum - Swimming Pool (March-October 2014)

HebWeb Forum 2013 - Reply from the current Swimming Pool Committee (Aug 2013)

HebWeb News - Mytholmroyd Swimming Pool: Calderdale approves plans (2 Aug 2013)

HebWeb News: Hebden Royd may finally have a swimming pool (March 2013)

HebWeb Forum: Swimming Pool update? (Dec 2012)

HebWeb Forum: Swimming Pool Plans/Mytholmroyd Community Centre (Jan 2011)

HebWeb Forum: Swimming pool plans (Sept-Dec 2010)

HebWeb News: Swimming Pool plans - comments sought (Sept 2010)

More coverage of the swimming pool issue on the HebWeb