Ryburne

Share this page

EditRegion10

Small ads

Flood damaged Rochdale Canal

From Joyce Bragg

Thursday, 10 March 2016

There was a lot of damage to the Rochdale Canal due to Boxing Day floods 2015.

There is a breach near the converted Mill on Woodhouse Road. The canal has emptied here. Just about half a mile to the East of this breach (nr Shaw Wood Road) is a large landslip, completely blocking the canal.

In addition there are many places along the towpath that are damaged and impassable.

The remedial work required is going to need large cranes and earth movers and much much more. There is very little on the Canal and Rivers Trust website regarding the progress of plans and funding to get this work going; just requests for contributions.

The canal has been part of the valley's infrastructure for well over 200 years and is now a nature/ leisure/ car free corridor for many people who escape here for their leisure pursuits (walking, cycling, boating, bird watching etc). As such it helps support people's businesses and draws people to Hebden Bridge and Todmorden.

If it is not brought back to its previous state of repair then other parts may also become unusable as locks may start to deteriorate. I am very concerned that this also becomes a priority for the local community.

From David Mack

Friday, 11 March 2016

A couple of days ago CRT announced the beginning of dredging of the canal between Mytholmroyd and Burnt Acres Bridge (22), with a view to getting the canal open between Sowerby Bridge and west of Hebden by Easter - See this Canal Trust web page.

The land slip at Shaw Wood Road and the breach near Woodhouse Mill are bigger problems, along with the bridge collapses at Elland.

There is more information and discussion on this Canal World web page.

From David Mack

Monday, 14 March 2016

And an update on the reopening of the Rochdale Canal from the Canal and River Trust:

Sowerby Bridge to Hebden Bridge will be reopened for Easter, then west towards Todmorden by early summer. The timescale for dealing with the landslip at Shaw Wood Road and the breach near Woodhouse Lane is yet to be confirmed.

See this Canal Trust web page.

From David Tut

Thursday, 17 March 2016

Great they are doing what I and many more have said for years and that is the dredging of the River Hebden but as some of my friends have pointed out to me isn't it funny how it is all happening on the route of the Duck Race. I hope that this is not the reason as the problem is whole lot larger and the river a lot longer. Here's hoping!

See also:

HebWeb Feature: Boxing Day Floods 2015