Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Broadband

From Scott P

Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Hello, I live on Palace House Road and like playing online games, however our ISP, Plusnet, as very slow upload and a high 'ping' making online gaming impossible. There doesn't seem to be much of an option for broadband here (BT and Sky) and none seem fibre optic. Does anyone know if BT or Sky is better for gaming here? I think Plusnet is a subsid of BT, or at least use their cables, so I am pinning my hopes on Sky. Any help welcomed.

From Martin C

Sunday, 25 September 2016

I'm on Plusnet too and there have been similar problems recently with dropouts on streaming both video and audio, although download speeds and ping response have been fine.

Sky and Talktalk provide Local Loop Unbundling at Hebden's Exchange, so performance may be better than the other ISPs who are in many ways just rebranding BT's offering.

Fibre is certainly widely available, although possibly not to all addresses, depending on your nearest green cabinet and your distance from it.

From Ruth Walker Cotton

Tuesday, 27 September 2016

I am also on Palace House Rd and with Plusnet - they tell me that fibre will be available from 1 Oct for my address…

From Bryn H

Tuesday, 27 September 2016

Hi, I don't know about gaming, but I've been with talk talk for my broadband in Hebden for many years and have not had any probs whatsoever. Fine for streaming video and audio and no data limits. I've never had buffering issues at all. Just did a speed check this is what I've got. Should be fine for gaming I'd have thought.

From Ray Cummins

Saturday, 1 October 2016

I had to smile when I saw the speed test results from Bryn H. I've never had better than this (below) in 10 years of using various different providers. Also visits to 'optimise' the line from these same providers and including a visit from BT to relocate my telephone junction box input from downstairs to upstairs to be closer to my computers. I am based in HX2 - as it says 1.2 miles from the nearest exchange. Fibre - that's still a pipe-dream in my part of the world.

uSwitch.com
Broadband
Speed test
Your results
Your speed test results

Your download speed
1.1Mb

Your upload speed
0.3Mb

Distance from exchange
1.2 miles