Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Shopping

From David Tut

Monday, 9 January 2017

Whenever I go shopping out of Hebden Bridge, usually to one of big supermarkets, I'm amazed how many people I meet from Hebden Bridge and surrounding area. And not only that the home delivery vans from Tescos, Morrison's, etc all day long, and been delivered to people who would rather you didn't know the fact, is having a decent top of the range supermarket would not affect our quirky little shops which serve the tourist trade well and we will still use small independent shops butchers etc, I look at todmorden and see how they don't have a big problem with a good indoor and outdoor market.

From Tom O

Monday, 9 January 2017

I don't know about everyone else, but I go to Todmorden to Lidl for my main food shop as I wouldn't really be able to afford to do it in Hebden. I like our shops and I get things at the Co-op during the week but I need Lidl prices for the main shopping.

From Andy M

Tuesday, 10 January 2017

So we have a variety independent food shops: bakers, greengrocers, butchers etc and delivery vans and supermarket visits … and a small market… and a farmers market

From David Tut

Wednesday, 11 January 2017

The So is with the cost of living, especially gas and electric and a low income due to circumstances beyond my control I need to shop where I can get the best deal for myself. I'm not one of the many people who have come to Hebden Bridge, bought a house, commute everyday, and good for them, whoever they are. I'm just a local person who worked in this mill town as it was! And now has to live in the real world .

From Tom O

I would love to get bread/flour for bread at Sakers, fruit and veg from the greengrocers/market, other things from Valley Organics, and the rest from the Co-op.

But there's no way I could afford to do that. I'm a fairly frugal young person who works full time, but it wouldn't fit into my budget.

I think there are a lot of people like me who go to Todmorden's supermarkets for that reason. I don't necessarily think that means we need a supermarket in Hebden. But for those without access to a car it's more difficult.

From Sally F

Actually shopping out of town without access to a car isn't harder, it's easier. I have chronic pain and no car; I do online Tesco shops and get it delivered right to my kitchen, for a £1 fee - cheaper than a bus to Tod!

I order my cat food in bulk online, and that is delivered to my door too, or left in the shed if I'm out.

I also buy what I can locally and try to keep a balance of local bought products (eg wonderful fresh bread from Sakers, Fair Trade chocolate from Spirals, bits of organic fruit or veg from Valley Organics ...) with cheaper stuff from a supermarket. That way I support local business and get treats of wonderful quality local food, without breaking the bank.

I know a number of people who work it this way, to support local businesses while living within a budget.