Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Lees Yard (market)

From David Tut

Monday, 30 January 2017

I haven't seen any plans for the new development at Lees Yard for the new market only what I hear on the grapevine, but one thing I hadn't heard was the destruction of 2 trees, done early Monday morning. They kept that from public knowledge, and the reason they came early that morning. Nice one Calderdale Council, the job's done and nobody had a chance to ask why?

From Andy M

Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Maybe ask the HB Partnership/working group? See this Lib-Dem webpage

Original planning application - see tree information but no indication of felling

From Cllr Dave Young

Tuesday, 31 January 2017

Labour-led Calderdale Council has approved £160.000 in funding to move Hebden Bridge Market to a new locationin Lees Yard.

The proposal was backed by Calderdale Council's Markets Working Party and Hebden Royd Town Councillors who lobbied for the change and are delighted that work has began on a permanent site.

Labour Cllr Dave Young, who represents Birchcliffe Ward on HRTC, and Calder Ward on Calderdale Council said: "After 10 years of other Local Political Parties talking about moving the Hebden Bridge Market to Lees Yard and getting nowhere finally it has become a reality thanks to hard work by Labour Councillors."

The work required will include new electrical connections and storage facilities for stalls and equipment.

Hebden Bridge Mark et will also be expanded to four days a week from Thursday to Sunday offering a Food Market on Thursday, Bric-a brac on Friday, Arts & Crafts Local Market on Saturdays and the popular Local Produce Market will be held every Sunday. The new market will also free up the car park outside the Town Hall for daily use.

The 2 trees that had to be felled will be replaced.

From Phil M

Wednesday, 1 February 2017

Well done to all involved in making this happen. It will be a great addition to the town and makes sense on all levels!!

From David Thompson

Thursday, 2 February 2017

I suppose there won't be any parking at Lee's Yard on market days. Seems like a two way stretch. Councillor Young describes the move as a result of "hard work" by councillors. I imagine most of us, being real hard working constituents, find it difficult to understand exactly what "hard work" went into this. Perhaps Cllr. Young could enlighten us?
David Thompson

See also:

HebWeb News: Hebden Bridge Market on the move (19 Jan)