Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Planning Application, Mitchell Mill, Old Town

From Dr Lesley Mackay

Tuesday, 30 January 2018

There is a planning application in for Old Town Mill, aka Mitchell Mill, Old Town for the development of the mill into apartments and business units, which I personally think is good news.  

However, in the application there are included 4 new dwellings which will be partly sited to the front of the mill and fairly prominent from both Hebden Bridge and from Heights Road. I think the presence of these new build dwellings will detract from the visual amenity of the mill which is so prominent a building, not only from down in Hebden Bridge itself but also from Heights Road and the various walking paths around the area.  

If these new dwellings were deleted from the application, I would be happy with the other aspects proposed in the two applications: one for Full planning permission and one for Listed Building consent respectively.

I must say I am somewhat surprised that there has been so little publicity given to these planning applications given that they were submitted in the week beginning 15th January 2018.

From Chris Barnett

Friday, 2 February 2018

I agree that, all things considered, this is generally a welcome development. A landmark building will be saved from gradually falling into further disrepair, and (hopefully) good quality housing provided.

It's a shame that there is no social housing provision, and I'm sure that the proposed houses will sell for a high price, but it does at least take the pressure off building houses on green field sites in Old Town.

Personally I'm not sure that the four new houses will be that intrusive - they are fairly well hidden from most aspects by the existing mill building. The increase in vehicle traffic is potentially an issue - access southwards along Old Town Mill Lane is not viable, and the junction with Parrock Lane is not ideal. Presumably the section of Old Town Mill Lane past the cricket club will be upgraded. 

I've had a chat with the new owner, Gary Clay - he seems to know what he's doing, and I was quite impressed by his attitude to refurbishing and reusing historic buildings.