Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Wetherspoons in Hebden?

From Joan Hobday

Thursday, 15 February 2018

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere but I can't find any confirmation - is there going to be a new Wetherspoon's in Hebden Bridge at the bottom of Crown Street?

From Andy G

Thursday, 15 February 2018

There have been rumours about Wetherspoons opening in Hebden ever since the closure of the Hole in the Wall more than five years ago. However, as a local CAMRA activist, it is my understanding that the company policy is only to open branches in towns with a population greater than 10,000, as they could not guarantee viability in smaller centres. Thus Halifax, Sowerby Bridge and Todmorden all have branches of Wetherspoons, but Hebden is unlikely to get one. The owners of the former NatWest bank building at the corner of Crown Street and New Road have carried out some internal restructuring works to make it suitable for bar/restaurant use but, as far as I am aware, they are still looking for a lessee.

From David Thompson

Friday, 16 February 2018

Yes, please. Competition on prices would be very welcome to the consumer.

From Andy G

Friday, 16 February 2018

I have had a look at the Wetherspoons' website - and in particular the page where you can recommend locations and properties for potential new branches - and, while the population stipulation is no longer there, they do state that they require a minimum area of 5,000 square feet and an outside drinking area. I remain convinced that we won't be getting a branch of Wetherspoons in Hebden any time soon - unless anything goes horribly wrong with the Trades Club, the Picture House or Hope Baptist Church!

From Astra Jackman

Wednesday, 21 February 2018

I was quizzed early last year by a senior management person from the Royal Mail in Yorkshire about the Post Office and Sorting Office in Hebden Bridge.

Discovering my connection to the town, but never having visited himself, he was wondering about the viability and popularity of plans then afoot. These were to close the sorting office in Hebden, centralising services in Halifax, and relocate the Post Office either to premises outside the flood-zone, or to smaller, shared premises. One impetus for this was the number of vehicles damaged in the car park on Boxing Day 2015.

The existing Post Office and sorting office building would then be sold or leased, with Wetherspoons apparently being an interested party, there being very few large "oldy worldy" buildings likely to come up in Hebden in the near future that also had potential outside dining facilities. The deal would not be completed until the effectiveness of the EA flood improvement works could be assessed. 

I have long since discarded any paperwork whereon I might have noted his name or designation, and have no idea if his assertions have any truth beyond posturing at networking events, but it's another Wetherspoons story, for what that's worth!

Previously - Wetherspoons was discussed in these threads

HebWeb Forum: NatWest Bank - Nov-Dec 2014

HebWeb Forum: Pub Closures - Jan-March 2011