Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Redevelopment plans - Hebble End Works

From Jayne J

Wednesday, 24 October 2018

If you haven't already seen please check out the planning application on Calderdale's website - 18/01007/FUL - relating to the development of Hebble End works converting the first floor (currently used by artists in the mill and other community projects) into multiple occupancy holiday apartments.

This development, if it went ahead, would have a devastating impact on the local area including on the residents, current tenants in the mill,  the canal path (including to the wildlife there) not to mention access down the path for building work to be carried out. 

The online consultation is open until 2nd November. 

From Lisa Slater

Wednesday, 14 November 2018

I really feel for the creative people who are at Hebble End. They are powerless to object to Davide Fletcher's plans to redevelop. If they object their monthly rent contract would probably be terminated. If they do nothing, they will lose their studios anyway if planning permission goes ahead. 

I understand the roof needs replacing and it's the reason behind this. Well why not replace it and keep the ambience and current purpose of the space supporting artists and creativity and not the tourist industry. 

Hebble End is one of the long standing lights of Hebden. I hope a more creative community focused solution is reached. 

From Nitch T

Monday, 19 November 2018

This is so sad. The artists need space and the quality of good produced is second to none. Art and the ambience of the town is why people come here. I hope the landlord looks beyond the immediate to the soul of the works. 

From Jo E

Saturday, 1 December 2018

Holiday Appartments?  Oh No!  A future expansion of the Airbnb empire no doubt.  And as I use Airbnb does this makes me a hypocrite?

I don't know the present Landlord's financial situation so cannot comment on their decision. However, this seems to me to be a negative, backward 'development' for Hebden and it is obviously devastating for the Artists involved.

I cannot see anything positive in this and I also cannot see how it would aid the sustainability of our town.  

However crude, cynical or distasteful this decision is, Hebden has long been 'a victim of it's own success' and sadly, this latest business plan only helps this negative ethos gather pace.   

I feel wretched for those artists involved.

From Julie C

Sunday, 2 December 2018

It's not just artists either. My dog groomer recently relocated her business to Hebble End. She had to do the space up to make it suitable. No warning from the landlord that it would shortly disappear. Not fair I'd say.