Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

New Trains

From Adrian Riley

Sunday, 24 November 2019

My first impression of travelling on the new carriages that are replacing the Pacers. 

I found the seats lacking in cushioning. Travel on a bus and the seats have some depth of comfort but the new trains are much like sitting on a padded board. Anyone else noticed this? 

One would have thought the seats to be a priority consideration.

From Graham Barker

Sunday, 24 November 2019

I too was immediately struck by the inadequacy of the upholstery. I haven't yet travelled any serious distance on a new train but can't imagine it being comfortable.

A lot of the seats also don't line up with windows, so even enjoying the scenery becomes hard work.

Not a good start.

From Mo Ludlam

Monday, 25 November 2019

I too found the new trains seats uncomfortable. The train was cold and worse, the toilet door closes automatically and takes several minutes to do so. Plan your toilet trip carefully folks. And if that isn’t enough they keep running out of drivers, dumping you half way through your journey. Northern you are a disgrace. 

From Ian W

Tuesday, 26 November 2019

I agree, they're not particularly comfortable but do have quite a bit of leg room compared to the other trains on this route.

My main gripe is that they break down or cannot complete the journey extremely frequently. I've made more delay repay claims more in October/ November this year than the past three years combined (travelling daily Hebden to Leeds). 

Just this evening the 17:37 from Leeds firstly was missing train crew (driver presumably), then had an issue with doors or something, eventually departed 20 mins late and at Bradford announced it would no longer be stopping at any stations between Halifax and Rochdale!

From Myra James

Sunday, 1 December 2019

Hard seats must be the latest in train design as the seats in LNER’s new Azuma trains are horribly hard and uncomfortable. On a recent trip home from London it was a relief to get onto the Northern train home from Leeds. It was a very old train and the upholstery was shabby but it was much more comfortable than the Azuma’s.

From Thomas Smith

Monday, 2 December 2019

think the new seats are there for fire safety reasons: they are less combustible. There is an amusing article on this by Matthew Parris.

From Adrian Riley

Monday, 2 December 2019

Maybe the new trains should be returned as not fit for purpose. What on earth is the point of having seats that are like boards and people are glad to get off the train. Didn't anyone at the design stage not query this? Either they don't care or they all travel by car.

Or perhaps if you get too comfortable you won't be able to remain "vigilant" for untoward circumstances, as the incessant recording keeps reminding. 

Like Graham Barker, I also don't understand why seats are deliberately placed to not line up with windows. It is one of the pleasures of travelling to observe the passing scene. 

Station platforms are painted with "mind the step", yet train recordings are "mind the gap". I always wonder why stepping up has different hazards to stepping down.

From Martin F

Monday, 30 December 2019

Maybe the seats were designed to be hard so that you won’t mind getting off the train when the journey is cut short before the destination on your ticket,

and

Maybe the seats not lining up with the windows is also deliberate: so that you won’t see all the people waiting on the opposite platforms for trains that never arrive.