Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

General Election

From Mo O'Ryan

Friday, 29 November 2019

I am currently in America and won't be back home until 16th December. I have a proxy vote and have tried to keep up to date with what's happening, but the website isn't very up to date as to what is happening locally. I would welcome any updates to help me come to a decision.

Many thanks

From Sarah W

Tuesday, 3 December 2019

Mo O'Ryan asks for information to guide how she votes.  Well, same as ever the only parties with a chance are Conservative and Labour.

You can see some of Craig Whittaker's antics here 

For more of the same, vote Conservative.

The Green Party are deliberately not standing for this election in our area, and asking their members to vote Labour.  It's worth remembering that in the last general election if everyone who voted Green had voted Labour instead, Labour would have won in this area.

Pretty much the reality of the choice is, if not enough people vote Labour, we get Craig Whittaker again.

Joy, not.

From Mark H

Tuesday, 3 December 2019

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

I'm one of those folks that'll be getting up early to open the Polling Station for you folks to come along and make your vote.

I am not allowed to campaign for or express support for any candidate or party.

And nor should Hebweb. 

Please can we keep it so?

From Chris Barnett

Tuesday, 3 December 2019

I can understand why Mark and other people in his position have to remain impartial in the run up to an election, but surely the whole point of Hebweb is to allow the rest of us to debate important issues that affect us all. (Correct - Ed)

As long as the arguments are based on fact rather than fiction and everyone behaves in a reasonably civilised manner, I can't see any problem debating the merits of our prospective candidates on Hebweb. I'm surprised that there hasn't been more discussion already (or are the people of Hebden Bridge all in agreement that there's only one sensible way to vote......)

From Sarah W

Tuesday, 3 December 2019

Here is the "they work for you" analysis of Craig Whittaker's voting while he has been representing our area.

I recommend reading right through; it's a lot of info and very revealing.

From Chris Barnett

Sunday, 8 December 2019

There doesn't seem to be much enthusiasm for a Hebweb debate on this subject, which is surprising considering how important this election is, but here's a few thoughts which might help the undecided to cast their vote wisely on Thursday:

A lot of people seem to think that Boris Johnson is a loveable rascal (rather than the mendacious sociopath that he is), which is worrying to say the least. Don't forget that behind him are the likes of Rees-Mogg, Raab, Gove, Hancock, Priti Patel, Liz Truss, Sajid Javid etc. Scary. And do we really want the utterly useless Craig Whittaker re-elected as our MP?

A lot of people seem to distrust / dislike / loath Jeremy Corbyn. I'm not his greatest fan, but I'm not voting for him - I'm voting for the Labour manifesto, a Labour government, and of course for Josh as our MP.

With the Green Party backing Labour, we've got a unique opportunity to make a real change - to get rid of a useless MP and (hopefully) get rid of this wretched government.

From Mo O'Ryan

Sunday, 8 December 2019

Thank you all for your comments. I have to admit to being surprised and slightly disappointed at the apparent lack of constructive and positive information to help me make a reasoned decision. I am well aware of Craig Whitaker's past actions and strongly believe the Calder Valley deserves and needs new blood. I know where my vote will be going on Thursday.

From George Murphy

Wednesday, 11 December 2019

They say, Storytellers rule the world. Not so: jingle writers control our destiny. For the last ten years the dominant mindset has been that Labour spending caused the world wide banking crash. The poor got the blame. Even George Osborne admits this wasn't true. Most economists, most governments say we need to invest in our economy - it's like getting a mortgage, through investment the country gets much wealthier in the long run.

The next jingle they've come up with is: Get Brexit done. It becomes like the sheep in animal farm and these simple chants are amazingly powerful.

HebWeb election coverage at caldervalley.org.uk