Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Electricity without a smart meter

From Martin F

Wednesday, 8 April 2020

My deal with Scottish Power ends at the end of this month.

Their follow-on tariffs involve agreeing to having a smart meter. I don't want one.

Does anyone in the area have a recommendation, preferably based on actual experience, of any reliable provider not requiring a smart meter.

All information gratefully received.

Thank you

From Sara W

Wednesday, 8 April 2020

I don't know how it works for new customers, but I'm with Npower and I have so far managed to refuse to have one installed. They keep sending letters, emails and texts about it, and have even phoned me, and I told them why I don't want one.  I don't know if I can get away with it indefinitely, but so far so good.

From Andy G

Wednesday, 8 April 2020

I have no hesitation in recommending Ecotricity. They will install a smart meter if you want one, but it's not compulsory. More importantly, they are an ethical cooperative based in Stroud - the Hebden Bridge of Gloucestershire! - and not a global capitalist corporation, unlike the other two firms mentioned. They invest all their profits in carbon-neutral power generation. You can also obtain your gas supply from them. We have had superb service from them over the past fifteen years. Google them and find out all the options.

From Nitch T

Saturday, 11 April 2020

I too recommend Ecotricity. Good value base and pleasant staff. No smart meter requirement.

From Vivienne H

Saturday, 11 April 2020

E.ON doesn't insist on a smart meter.

However, I have the impression that in future, the cheaper tariffs won't be available to people who won't accept a meter. 

From Mark H

Sunday, 12 April 2020

Ecotricity, who at the time were our supplier, sent an installer to fit the smart meter they said we needed.

I told him we didn't want one, but he insisted we did. OK, I said, phone Ecotricity and tell them we don't want him to fit it.

After a few minutes trying, he said he couldn't get a signal. Nobody round here can, I told him. Reception black hole.

So, how do these meters work, I asked. Simple, he said, they send an SMS like a text....  

The penny dropped, and the installer left. We've not been troubled since. I think there will soon be a requirement for smart meters - maybe 5G will give us a signal soon if the masts survive attack by pitchfork-wielding conspiracy theorists....

From Sara W

Sunday, 12 April 2020

I have just got an estimate from Ecotricity. I currently pay £36 a month on a duel fuel NPower green tariff, and sometimes get refunds back from them.  Ecotricity estimate that including a duel fuel discount I'd be paying £80 a month with them.

Of course that's only an estimate based on a one bedroom property average, but, ouch.

From Martin F

Tuesday, 14 April 2020

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions.

I have now made a choice.

I, too, think we will eventually be forced to have one - if only because the suppliers will be able to sack anyone who they still employ who comes to check our meters once a year.

Thanks again