Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Reopening of Hebden non essential shops

From Patricia B

Sunday, 31 May 2020

How do we all feel about town reopening. What is the general consensus, will you go browsing and buying in your local shops? Are you eager to get to the shops for a look around or will you be avoiding non essential shops, what do you want to see in place e.g. limiting customers in store, card payments over cash or perhaps appointment based entry for the vulnerable? All suggestions and ideas welcome.

From George Murphy

Wednesday, 3 June 2020

Patricia, before you get more practical responses, it's worth saying that Hebden people are very proud of our local, independent shops and know what the owners have been through. 

I'm hanging on till I can have a good coffee from a cup and a pint of real ale and a sit down meal in a restaurant, but meanwhile, I hope the Bookcase finds a way of letting us browse safely. Good luck. 

From Lynn Hardy

Wednesday, 3 June 2020

I think opening of shops with the rules in place of social distancing and limited numbers in shops. I was thinking it helps independent shops to start to earn money again. I've a few things I have held off buying online so I can but local . 

From Graham Barker

Wednesday, 3 June 2020

Limiting customers is the only safe way to do it. Local shops should do well because they'll be easier to get into than large stores with longer queues. Best placed will be those whose customers know what they want and can be in and out quickly. If there's a large element of browsing or 'just looking', survival may depend on shoppers recognising the dilemma and not hogging time or space. Loyalty will be measured not just by entering but by leaving as well, and inevitably some will grasp that better than others. 

From The Book Case

Wednesday, 3 June 2020

Thanks for the kind words George.

We are in the process of working out how to re-open safely.  Inevitably this will involve some restrictions, and Graham's post identifies some of the potential issues.

We look forward to welcoming customers back, and seeing trade in the town's independent shops resuming. Please support local businesses with your custom, but also by ensuring that their staff and other customers can stay safe. 

From Neil Mercer

Thursday, 4 June 2020

What would be very useful would be "traffic light" signs at every shop doorway. Green light - please come in. Red light - please wait outside. Approaching a shop you can't always see who's lurking behind the shelving! No more would staff have to shout at intending customers not to enter. And in warm weather shopkeepers would be more willing to leave doors open, improving ventilation and avoiding the need to grasp handles.