Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Cyclists around Hebden Bridge

From  John Hartley

Sunday, 18 October 2020

Every day I need to travel through Hebden Bridge from Colden. (we look after an old chap)

On many trips I have to avoid at least one cyclist behaving like they have the right to do as they please and that I should have to avoid them! Red lights seem to mean some can carry on, and road signs don't apply to many.

I berated one chap who turned right from Bridge Lanes up Heptonstall Road . As I had to slam on to avoid hitting him. He had obviously ignored the no right turn sign and the red light. I was told to get f****d. Hopefully he will do that to the wrong person one day.

I also see plenty of cyclists turning left from Heptonstall Road onto Bridge Lanes. Swerving out for the turn causing drivers to brake. I was however pleasantly surprised only yesterday to follow one down to the turning circle. (Rare occurrence)

I would love to see a traffic cop at the bottom of Heptonstall Road one weekend issuing fines for people ignoring these signs. The revenue would be immense.

From Tim B

Monday, 19 October 2020

As you come down Heptonstall hill, the road sign indicates that cyclists are excepted from the no left turn rule.

From Larry Kin 

Monday, 19 October 2020

The no left turn sign on Heptonstall Road says 'except for cyclists'. 

I would love to see a traffic cop at the bottom of Heptonstall Road one weekend, issuing fines to people ignoring these signs, people who brake erratically because they hadn't read the sign and so not planned for the cyclist turning left, and people who erroneously berate cyclists who had read the sign.

From Ruth A

Tuesday, 20 October 2020

Presumably, though, the road signs saying cyclists can make that turn don't say they can also jump the traffic lights?  And if they do oncoming traffic doesn't know to expect them. I live in that area and have seen this. Cyclists getting upset but drivers having had no warning that they might appear out of nowhere without waiting for the main road traffic to stop.

Also, blah, cyclists v drivers, blah, I don't drive so not an issue here.

From Myra James

Thursday, 22 October 2020

I commonly approach the Heptonstall Road junction, on my bike, along the A646, towards Hebden Bridge. I've lost count of the number of times I have stopped at an amber light there only to find two or three cars passing me, definitely on red by then. For some reason, cyclists running red lights are much more visible that motorists who do the same thing.

From Tim M

Sunday, 25 October 2020

This has to be one of the most dicey spots in Hebden Bridge - because of drivers! I cross this road most days and lose track of the number of cars who jump the lights, can't be bothered to indicate, or don't need to use the turning circle 'cos they are expert divers (or think that the junction of Church Lane is going to be quicker -  nearly run down twice here). If drivers remembered how dangerous they are to other road users then then they might have a point. (And I am a driver).