Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Linden Mill Planning Application Passed

From Robert Garrett

Friday, 1 October 2021

I spoke on behalf of 73 other objectors against the proposal to develop Linden Mill into 18 one bedroom flats. The original plans had been deferred to this meeting so the committee could investigate the parking situation. 18 flats with the attendant no of cars would flood the local cobbled streets already up to capacity parking-wise from residents. They then found out that they didn't in law have to do anything about this but instead deferred the parking situation to the developer who wouldn't have to do anything about it.

The mill itself is home to several businesses and they would have to find alternative homes.

The committee seemed to ignore this and no sooner had the agent of the developer stopped speaking than the permission was proposed, seconded and accepted and the local communitity's life in one of the last green pockets in Hebden Bridgewas changed into a future of builder's noise and prospective AirBnB.

I have lived here for 40 years and of course changes must happen but it seems to me that now we have become a place where developers and estate agents dictate the course of events.

The only interest and support we received was from Josh Fenton Glynn which probably says something about local politics as well.

Robert Garrett

From Rory Prior

Tuesday, 5 October 2021

Hebden Bridge is a very popular town that desperately needs more housing, especially at the affordable end of the market. If each new unit that is made available must come with a parking space you might as well just say Hebden is permanently closed to any new development because space is so limited – and indeed just about every new development that is proposed is shot down on these grounds or the associated air pollution more cars would bring.

How many households in Hebden have multiple cars I wonder? Perhaps there needs to be a limit of 1 per household if using on-street parking so there is a fair amount of space available for all.