Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

How can shopping be so difficult?

From Ms. P. Finch

Friday, 8 April 2022

For the last six months I have been supporting a friend with Alzheimers with their shopping. 

They dont remember or make lists and so only occasionally get things. 

The local care team (in twice a day) don't provide shopping. None do. Neither does Age Concern.

I have now reached burn out and had hoped a local helper could do it at cost of £20 per hour. Unfortunately for practical reasons this isn't going to happen – payment arrangements, travel. 

A supermarket delivery won't work as neither the person or carers can guarantee they will be there when it arrives. Food parcels seem a last resort and inappropriate - also someone on a vegan diet.

Am I missing the wood for the trees!!!

From George Murphy

Monday, 11 April 2022

Hello there. I wonder if the Co-op delivery service might be a good place to try, or the cyclists who deliver food to the door. Quite a few doorstep delivery services sprang to life during lockdown and food banks have great teams you might turn to. I suspect someone with expert knowledge might be available at the town hall. Good luck.

From Ms. P. Finch

Monday, 11 April 2022

Many thanks George. It now turns out that the care agency are considering setting up a special arrangement for shopping support. Turns out there are other agencies who offer it.

If this falls through I hope to find a trustworthy young person in Tod who could do with the work.

In this instance as the saying goes, a problem shared is a problem halved.