Election Night, Quiz, local bands and benefit for Project X
Sunday, 2 May 2010
Political junkies can get their fix on General Election night as the Trades Club are using the biggest screen in town to show all the results as they come in.
Only one thing is sure is that Calder Valley will have new a MP on May 6th in what is proving to the closest General Election since 1974. Food will be offer as voters see if this election produces a ‘Portillo moment’ as a political heavyweight bites the dust and the bar will be open late to celebrate your favourite candidate winning or drowning your sorrows if you’re on the losing side.
Before the results event it’s time for the best quiz in Hebden Bridge as quizmaster Dave Boardman gently mocks the teams vying for the worse prizes along the valley. Recent quizzes have been packed out thanks to the best music round in Calderdale and the quality curries available at half-time.
As the dust settles on the political landscape local bands Fat Rascals and Pepperjam team up for a charity night on Friday May 7 to raise money for the Disasters Emergency Committee. The Trades has had number of successful fundraising nights and the headline acts will be joined by Cowbaby and Paul Weatherhead on what is a high quality bill for local music connoisseurs. Late night DJs complete the bill and there is a minimum entry fee of £3 with no maximum.
A weekend of fundraisers is completed on Saturday May 8 when local DJs and musicians from along the valley come together to raise money for Project X. The gig will help Project X develop drop-ins, forums and safe spaces for young people to meet. Their last event was a sell-out and the mix of young DJs and bands looks set to be as popular.
“This is the closest and most unpredictable General election for 30 years so we decided to use our big screen to show the results as they come in and as there is a late bar so you can celebrate long into the night or numb your pain depending on how your candidate has done,” Trades Club spokesperson Paul Clarke told the Hebden Bridge Web.
“The Trades is always happy to support good causes so with top local acts doing their bit for the Disaster Emergency Committee and Project X we are raising money that will help young people round the world and here in Calderdale.”
More info from 01422 845265 or Trades Club Box Office
Previously on HebWeb
- Cabaret and Dirty Fakirs at the Trades
- Martin Stephenson, Rhythmbridge, World Music and more at the Trades
- Grumpy old Christian and more at the Trades
- Outer Zeds Haiti Benefit, Bridget St. John, Reggae and more at the Trades
- Angels and more at the Trades
- Chumbawamba, Hazel O’Connor and more at the Trades
- Andy Sheppard at the Trades
- It’s Cool for Cats at the Trades
- Sunfish, Fay Hield, Chris Lynam, Bethany Black and Quiz at the Trades
- Back Into the Valley for top DJs
- Out on the Floor at the Trades Club
- Maghribibeat, quiz night, Palestinian evening and book launch at the Trades
- Haiti benefit at the Trades
- The Beat, Nancy Elizabeth and Love Music Hate Racism fundraiser
- Dread Dub at the Trades
- Nothing to Declare at the Trades Club
See more Trades Club events
- as they appeared on Hebden Bridge Web