COP 26 - local actions
Tuesday, 26 October 2021
Can't make it to Glasgow for COP 26? – you can still join in and take part! There are several local family friendly events and actions to get involved in during the Glasgow Climate Summit
- Sat 30 October At the main bridges in the valley's towns and villages
Deep water rising - 'call the alarm' & 'pandemonium'
5.15pm - Gather with candles/torches/lanterns, bring a saucepan or a drum
5.30pm - Lighting the lights then at 5.55pm - 2 minutes silence then sound the alarm (lots of noise!)
- Mon 1 Nov Rush hours and school pick-up, at main road junctions
The valley raises it's banners for climate justice. All over Glasgow big banners will appear imploring our world leaders to act. Let's echo this! Come along, make/bring a banner or placard and stand in solidarity with your community.
For banner holding in Todmorden Contact - Julia: 07979 278794
- Fri 5 Nov 9am-10am in Hebden Bridge square
Local Youth Strike Echoing the larger youth strike in Manchester
- Fri 5 Nov 10am-2pm at Todmorden College
Youth engagement event Food, music and talks for local high school students to raise climate conversations between young people
- Sat 6 Nov 10am to 2pm Central Halifax outside Wilkos
Liar, Liar, Earth's on Fire! Giant puppets, dancing, dancing flash mobs, stalls, info and lots more
- Sun 7 Nov 12 noon meet Wadsworth Community Centre
Pilgrimage Walk on to Midley Moor
A walk in silence to gather in ceremony returning to write messages and prayers of hope and intention. For people with mobility limits there will be silent prayer, songs and readings. For further info: contact Paul at firstname.lastname@example.org or see this HebWeb news page
- Sun 7 – 10 Nov Join in online from anywhere in the world, or in-person in Glasgow. People's Summit For Climate Justice
150 sessions bringing together movements from across the world for system change. Bringing together the climate justice movement to discuss, learn and strategise for system change.
With thanks to: Movement of Movements Environmental Coalition including: Friends of the Earth, Green New Deal and XR Calderdale