Ryburne

Share this page

Small ads

Buskers

From Sarah Connor

Tuesday, 12 July 2022

I can't be alone in thinking this is the worst busker we have ever been subjected to. Short set, same every day, incredibly loud and an obnoxious attitude. 

Is it really OK for a white man to sing Redemption Song by Bob Marley in a fake Jamaican accent?

From Adrian Crowther

Thursday, 14 July 2022

"Is it really OK for a white man to sing Redemption Song by Bob Marley in a fake Jamaican accent?"

That is quite possibly the most middle class thing I have ever read.

From Callie L

Sunday, 31 July 2022

Hello,

My partner and I were visiting your lovely town a few weeks ago and were appalled by the noise caused by not-very-talented buskers.

We sat down to have breakfast at a cafe and, just as we were about to start, my partner announced that we were about to be 'entertained'. A woman with a mic and a man playing guitar with an amplifier ruined our breakfast. We couldn't hear each other talk.

Never mind, we thought,  we'll wander through the town. The noise from buskers number one soon gave way to busker number two in the town square: a man doing a terrible James Taylor impersonation, although it was closer to Kermit the Frog. More noise.

So, we decided to go down to the canal where, surely, we'd get some peace. No: another man with a guitar, mic and amplifier, making Coldplay sound even worse than the original. Didn't think that was possible. Why do people presume that others want to hear their mediocre music?

The trip was ruined and there was absolutely nowhere to go to get away from it. Three buskers at once in such a compact area? No. I came away just relieved I didn't live there - something I never thought I'd say. I pity the residents. 

From Gillian MH

Monday, 1 August 2022

Hebden Royd Council have completely failed to do anything about amplified busking - despite years of complaints from residents and employees affected by the noise - a problem that arose when the main square was pedestrianised.

About a decade ago there was talk of free permits, issued to buskers with a code of conduct. The idea being that there would be a cap on noise levels and time limits. But that never got off the ground.

The current situation isn't even fair on the buskers. One dreary individual regularly arrives early on a Sunday and hogs the best spot all day, giving lip to anyone with the temerity to ask that he turns his amp down.

But the problem isn't helped by the tourists egging them on - applauding and chucking money in the hat. Add to that the spill over from the Shoulder and hen and stag parties and you're in the seventh circle of hell on a hot sunny day.

All I can suggest is that you visit on a weekday, go for breakfast down Market Street or Albert Street where, so long as the wind is blowing in the right direction, you won't be subjected to Puff the Magic Dragon turned up to eleven.

Maybe one day the council will pull their finger out and try to find a solution, but I'm not holding my breath.

Previously

Busker in the Square - April 2018

HebWeb Forum Busking in the Square (May 2017)

HebWeb Forum Amplified busking (May-Nov 2016)

HebWeb Forum: Amplified busking menace (October 2015)

HebWeb Forum: Busking and amplification (April-July 2012)

HebWeb Forum: Busking in Hebden (August-Oct 2010)