Comedy Calves at the Trades Club
Monday, 16 August 2010
Stand up comedy used to be a male preserve but a new generation of female stand ups are taking on the testosterone fuelled circuit led by the Laughing Calves comedy collective who make their first visit to the Trades Club on Saturday.
The cosy comedy lads club has been smashed by the likes of Josie Long and Shazia Mirza but the Manchester based Laughing Calves have been giving up and coming funny women a platform to make us laugh for the last six years.
Their first bill at the Trades includes a mix of stand ups showcasing their new material and some new acts taking their first tentative steps into the spotlight.
In contrast on Friday the Nothing to Declare DJ collective celebrate their first anniversary with sets from regular DJs Nash, MJ, Mike Caines, Munch and Joel Booth
Their brand of old school house has proved a winning formula packing in hardcore dance fans from across West Yorkshire creating a club night on a par with anything on offer in Leeds or Manchester.
Local electronica legends Tetchi are back on Saturday with their mix of quirky, uplifting psychedelia all in aid of Medical Supplies for Gaza.
Tetchi pride themselves on being more than four geeks with laptops throwing in live bass and drums layered with keyboards, squides and a sweet vocalist.
"Stand up used to be a very macho game but Laughing Claves were pioneers in giving new funny women somewhere to perfect their acts and it could be your chance to see the next Jo Brand or Shazia Mirza," Trades Club spokesperson Paul Clarke told the Hebden Bridge Web.
"Nothing to Declare is a guaranteed sell out so the team are celebrating their anniversary with a massive night of old school classics for dance fans along the valley and beyond.
"Every time I see Tetchi they just better and better with the plus point being all proceeds will go to a very good cause."
More info from 01422 845265 or email Trade Club
Previously on HebWeb
- Viva Morrissey and Jackie Leven at the Trades Club
- All stations home
- Singing with Becky and other events at the Trades
- Comedy, Reggae and Strictly Come Tango Dancing at the Trades
- Troubadours, folk and blues at the Trades
- Football and Jazz and at the Trades
- Manchester superclub comes to Hebden Bridge
- Dub, witches, double guitarist and Po’Girl play the Trades
- Jesca Hoop, Mabel Blue and all that jazz at the Trades
- Lunasa: from Obama’s White House to Hebden Bridge
- Election Night, Quiz, local bands and benefit for Project X
- Cabaret and Dirty Fakirs at the Trades
- Martin Stephenson, Rhythmbridge, World Music and more at the Trades
- Grumpy old Christian and more at the Trades
- Outer Zeds Haiti Benefit, Bridget St. John, Reggae and more at the Trades
- Angels and more at the Trades
- Chumbawamba, Hazel O’Connor and more at the Trades
- Andy Sheppard at the Trades
- It’s Cool for Cats at the Trades
- Sunfish, Fay Hield, Chris Lynam, Bethany Black and Quiz at the Trades
- Back Into the Valley for top DJs
- Out on the Floor at the Trades Club
- Maghribibeat, quiz night, Palestinian evening and book launch at the Trades
- Haiti benefit at the Trades
- The Beat, Nancy Elizabeth and Love Music Hate Racism fundraiser
- Dread Dub at the Trades
- Nothing to Declare at the Trades Club
See more Trades Club events
- as they appeared on Hebden Bridge Web